Thursday, May 31, 2007

Easy gmail "API" decode

Not so long ago I complained about there being no official gmail API. I got some good comments about either using gmailthis bookmarklet or sending through the gmail smtp server.

What I ended up doing was very simple.

I noticed that google toolbar has an option in its settings where I can check "Send with gmail", which makes gmail open up in a new mail when a mailto: link is clicked. All I had to do was to produce some examples of the kind of new emails I would like to be able to open up in gmail, and then look at the link that google toolbar produces with this option on. An easy way to "reverse engineer".

1 comment:

Sean said...

I've documented the API that Google's mobile gmail uses here

It's the closest thing you'll find to an "official" API.