Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Now You Can "Click" on a Newspaper Article

When google introduced printed ads in newspapers as part of the AdWords product some time ago, my first response was something in the lines of "what the f...". How can that be a good idea. I didn't give it much thought, and have also been unable to see the big idea there.

Well, until today, when I noticed googles Print Ads 2D Barcodes technology. The idea is to put a small 2D barcode next to the printed ad, in which a URL to a website is encoded. You can then take a snapshot of the barcode with your mobile phone, have software on the phone automatically decode the 2D barcode into the URL, and lastly open a web browser, again on the phone, taking you to the URL.

That is kind of cool, I think :-)

Of course, google has software to decode 2D barcodes, which runs on J2ME and of course Android.

But there are others too. Take a look at Nokia mobile codes, where you can create 2D codes and get scanner software for your phone. To the right is a 2D barcode of the URL to this blog. Sadly, I did not find any barcode scanner software ready for download to my Sony Ericsson W810i. Guess I will have to build zxing and run is on J2ME then.